Sometimes I get sucked into other work and paint far less. Planning and prep.
I had the stub axles turned down at the machine shop. Now they accept standard sized 30mm bearings rather than 31mm. The bearings I had were fine, but not sealed. So now is a good time to put in standard sized sealed new ones.
But instead of working on art, I was trying to get the little car roadworthy again. I pressed on new inner bearings.
I used spacers and a socket to press on the inner bearing.
I also replaced the outer bearings with new ones in the freshly painted alloy hub carriers.
The long grease zerks didn’t work. I’ll have to take this cap screw out when I grease the u-joints since the long grease fitting interferes with articulation.
I centered the inner bearing spacer with duct tape. It’s inside.
I sorta kinda installed a lower link to use as a stop when pulling the axle through the carrier
It seems to me that it can come out another eighth of an inch but I don’t know.
subtracting half an inch for the bearing, it’s 3 inches hanging out. The installed one is at 2 7/8″
Here is the new hardened D-washer with two old ones.